When my Grandpa met Lawrence Welk


My grandpa was a TV news anchor/reporter back in the day and would interview celebrities of the current times. My mother had special perks growing up because she got to have backstage passes to shows with meet and greets from the performers. She has an absolute special autographed picture from Bobby Darin. But, the story behind the photo itself is the best part. She had finished watching him in his show when my grandpa took her backstage to meet him. She explains that Bobby opened the door wearing his robe and slippers while smoking his cigarette. If that doesn’t just scream 1950's then I don’t know what else does. 



But, my favorite picture I own is of when my grandpa interviewed Lawrence Welk. Sadly, I wasn’t around yet to meet Lawrence Welk but I love having that picture. I asked my grandma if she was able to meet him too and she explained that she was, in fact, the one that took the picture. She laughed and said, "I technically wasn't supposed to hang around the celebrities just being his wife. But, I couldn't stand not meeting them so I would pose as his secretary and take fake notes." That was grandma for you. But, thanks to her snooping I have the picture.


I was watching a Lawrence Welk episode recently and I just can't help but smile. "You are traveling now into the world of the future, the symbol of Plymouth of 1959" (que sound of cymbals and drums) "The future of cars with the length of 17 feet long and the all new swivel seat!"



Now, that's something I would like to make a comment on. I know they stopped making swivel seats based on safety, but couldn't they figure out how to make it safe with today's technology so that they could make it easier on us ladies trying to get into the car with a dress on!? Yes, I do dress vintage so I do wear abnormally poofy skirts, but think about trying to get into a car with your wedding dress on! Your poor husband is trying to push your rear end into the car with a mighty heave-ho. But, with the swivel seat, you could get in with ease. Have I sold you yet? No? Okay, I'll keep dreaming. Really though, there's nothing else quite like the Lawrence Welk show. I mean, what other show has a dancing bull while singing "Ferdinand, Ferdinand, the bull with the delicate ego, Ferdinand, Ferdinand, the heifers all called amigo, Ferdinand, Ferdinand, he'd curtsy and greet them politely now, he knew how to tango and dance the fandango, but he never learned to fight."


Still, is this ever going to tie in with Disney!? Stay tuned…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey into Mid Century

Tonight's Feature Presentation: Rochelle's TV!

Collectif Menswear Review